Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

Full Moon Over Stonehenge

I made this small (12"x12") art quilt for the 2016 SAQA Benefit Auction .  It's called, "Full Moon Over Stonehenge." I used a navy-blue speckled fabric for the night sky background.  I bought some Stonehenge fabrics by Northcott that I used for the vertical sarsen stones and the horizontal lintel stone.  The moon is a piece of very thin, silver lamé fabric, which I bonded to the background with Mistyfuse.  Within the radiating quilting lines, I added some Swarovski crystals for stars.  (It sold for $150.)

Thread Cabinet

By chance, I found this vintage four-drawer silverware cabinet (in like-new condition) in an antiques  warehouse near where I live.  I thought that it could be re-purposed as a sewing thread cabinet so I bought it.  I really love it!  I didn't realize how many spools of thread I had until I started to organize them into one place.  Not only can I see how many and what colors I have, I can see what colors I still need to add to my thread collection.  So far, I have almost filled three of the four drawers. (My little treadle sewing machine music box is sitting on top of a small art quilt made by the late Karen Loprete.) My Thread Cabinet

Spool Block - Windham Textile & History Museum - 25th Anniversary Quilt

I recently created a spool block that was included in a special quilt made to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the Windham Textile and History Museum in Willimantic, CT.  This group quilt is composed of 25 different spool blocks made by members of the Connecticut chapter of Studio Art Quilt Associates. (SAQA) This quilt will become part of the museum's permanent collection. The Spool Block quilt can be seen at the WTHM along with a special exhibit called Inspiration Quilts: Then and Now which pairs 12 antique quilts in the museum's collection with 12 contemporary quilts made by twelve SAQA artists who were inspired by them. For more info go to: w ww.millmuseum.org My spool block is on the top row, block #4 when viewed left to right.  I used  the selvedges of various fabrics to make it look like thread wrapped around a spool. A portion of the whole quilt is shown here.  All the unique and colorful blocks in the finished quilt were amazing and unfortunately my photo d